Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Would You Like Fries With That?

My Dad loves food. My Dad eats whatever he wants, however he wants, and doesn't feel bad about it. Growing up with a Dad like this is a blessing and a curse. While I am the same way with my eating, I tend to be less healthy because of it. I've finally started figuring out that it's okay to eat healthy, even if my Dad gives me a hard time about it.

Almost every occasion I can, I make my Dad food. It's usually dessert, and I think I do this because he really does love ooey gooey in-your-face fattening high-cholesterol extra grease never-ever-low-fat AWESOMENESS. It also gives me an opportunity to partake in said awesomeness, as well. So when I found a book of crazy cupcakes, I guess it somehow turned into a Father's Day tradition.

So last year I made my Dad Chocolate Moose for Father's Day. No, not a typo. They were chocolate cupcakes that looked like moose. So this year, to keep the tradition going, I decided to do another kind of crazy cupcake. These are  much simpler, but still have that 'wow' factor.

I know you're thinking "How is putting french fries on top of cupcakes 'wow-ing'?" Well, that's just it. They're not fries! They're pound cake!

I got the idea from "What's New, Cupcake?", and it's so simple. Not only that, but this is the 5th idea I've taken from that book, and all of them have been fun and easy. I highly recommend this book.


What You Need:

- Box of cake mix (I used Pillsbury Golden Butter Recipe)
- Frosting (I used the canned stuff. For this one I used a 12 oz. can of "Whipped Cream" frosting and I loved it! Easy to use, and you can do a lot with a little). If you do make your own, you'll need 12 - 16 oz.
- 1 pound of thawed pound cake (It will be in the frozen section. Yes, get the big one.)
- Crinkle cut vegetable cutter.
- Red food dye.
- Both regular size and mini cupcake tins.

How To Make This:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


2.. To make an extraordinary box cake mix, ignore the directions on the back. Use 4 eggs, a cup of buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, use a cup of milk, a tablespoon of lemon juice, stir and wait 10 minutes), and however much oil it calls for on the package (usually 1/3rd cup). Stir it all together.

Golden buttery goodness.




3. Make your cupcakes! Mine ended up making 17 regular size and 8 mini.


4. Cut off the ends of your pound cake using your crinkle cutter. Cut your pound cake into 1/2" thick slices, then cut the pound cake crosswise into 1/2" strips. Put your "fries" on 2 greased baking sheets.



5. Preheat your broiler to high. Toast the poundcake strips under the broiler until golden (about 20 - 30 seconds). Turn the pieces and continue toasting until all sides are golden brown (I just used my fingers. Tongs were kind of awkward, and the poundcake isn't actually all that hot). Repeat with the other tray. Let them cool.

6. Tint about 1/4 cup of your frosting red (I used a little more). Frost the mini cupcakes with the red frosting for the cups of ketchup.

7. Frost the regular size cupcakes with the white frosting.

8. Arrange your fries on top of your cupcakes.

9. Feast!

I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did. I also highly recommend buying "What's New, Cupcake?" if novelty cupcakes sound like a hobby you want to pick up. I can definitely assure you that you will impress people every single time.

No comments:

Post a Comment